Wednesday, August 14, 2013

New Apartment: Clean Slate or Anxiety Attack

      For most people having their first place or a new place is exciting because they can finally put their style to work in a place that belongs to them. That's how I felt when I moved into my apartment back in April. My mind was full of ideas. “I'm going to have this and this and this.” “I'm going to put this here and that there.” “This room is going to be these colors.” Fast forward 4 months... None of that has happened. Sure, I have my white sectional and black dinning set but that's all. Why you ask?

      Well first, I live on my own and pay every bill myself. Mom and dad help me with... nothing. I buy all of my own food as well. So funds are limited and I've put myself on a strict budget. I have no choice, or one of my bills wouldn't be getting paid and that's not acceptable.

      The second reason is because, I'm indecisive as heck! I can never make up my mind. I spend HOURS online shopping. Putting things in my cart, removing them, opening items in new tabs, comparing reviews and prices, deciding if it's something that will 'fit' in my place. It's exhausting. And then after weeks or months even of looking at an item and being 'set' on it, as soon as I purchase it and it's shipping I get buyers remorse. 'Well maybe it's not going to be what I want it to' “What if it looks stupid there” “What if it's too big” “Why did I NEED this again?”

      So because of my indecisiveness my apartment is disheveled. I want an old writing desk, but do I want it black or white or a bright pink? If I get the mirrored furniture, am I going to love it as much as I THINK I'm going to? I have so many ideas of what I WANT my place to look like (thank you Pinterest) but I have no focus.

      So while I do see my apartment as a fresh start and a clean slate, it gives me an excited feeling to know that I get to decorate and furnish it the way I want. I also start to get an anxiety attack when I start to think about it. Where do I start? I have a vision of what I want my place to look like, but then again, that vision changes almost daily.

      Did any of you feel this way when furnishing and decorating your first place? Did you have help from a roommate or spouse and that made it easier?

xoxo,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment